[Xcb] xcb does not compile on solaris 8

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Fri Oct 5 00:32:37 PDT 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Barton C Massey wrote:

> Ah.  Thanks much for the clarification.
>
> The right thing to do here is surely to ask autoconf to
> figure this out and include the proper header file for the
> target machine.  Patch gratefully accepted.

if I'm not mistaken, using autoconf has been discussed previously, and the
conclusion is that it is not a good idea : xcb.h is included by anyone who
is using xcb. The problem is that that person has maybe not the macro we
will use from autoconf already defined properly. That's why system macros
have beens used.

I mean that something like that :

#ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H
# include <stdint.h>
#else
# include <inttypes.h>
#else

is not good.

Maybe we can do something else :

1) creating an xcb.h.in

inside it, we have something like:
#include <@STDINT_H@>

2) checking in configure if stdint.h exists of not. If so, we set STDINT_H
so stdint.h, otherwise we set it to inttypes.h. Then, AC_SUBST + adding
xcb.h to output files of configure.

Problem : xcb generated from a platform might not work if it's copied to
another platform.

Is it a sufficiently good solution ?

Otherwise, maybe we should ask some solaris gurus what to do :)

Vincent