[Xcb] XKB once again ... i give up

Ian Osgood iano at quirkster.com
Fri Sep 21 14:13:50 PDT 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 5:17 AM, Thomas Hunger wrote:

> Hey,
>
> After another frustrating week in which I  tried to understand the
> weird semantics and how to write xcb-util stuff for it, I sat down
> today and implemented the interesting bits of logic + a parser for
> the layouts (no geometries yet, but looks simple as well) on the
> client side in a few hours. Much more fun.
>
> XCB-XKB works kind of, if you don't mind rolling your own binary
> structs in many places. If anyone wants to take this I can give some
> guidance, but I will not continue with XKB.
>
> Tom

Thank you for a noble effort, Thomas! Do you have your work in a
personal git repo somewhere? Feel free to just commit it to the main
xcb repositories as well.

I take it you agree with Daniel Stone's opinions given at last week's
XDS:
XKB is wretched. Exposes bad binary format over the wire.
API was defined in terms of (bad) implementation.
New API that matches use was patched on as badly as possible.
Daniel also said there is a plan in place to replace XKB. Perhaps we
should defer XCB work to only support whatever XKB replacement is
coming down the pipe. And also encourage Daniel to use XCB to
prototype it.

Ian