[Xcb] patches from Arnaud Fontaine

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sun Apr 13 18:15:25 PDT 2008

In message <20080411123836.GC11552 at abydos.adm.naquadah.org> you wrote:
> I'd like to know what is the current status of the
> xcb-util maintenance.  None of the recent Arnaud's patches
> have been commited nor reviewed.

We've reviewed a few on this list; I can't say that I'm
happy with the degree of review and number of commits so
far.

I think the core problem is that util is sort of a dumping
ground, and no one really cares very much about some of the
pieces.  As I've said repeatedly on-list, util needs a lot
of cleanup.  Thanks to the recent copyright patches, I think
we've at least identified owners and licensing for most of
the code, but really the only parts of the work that I think
the core XCB team will be good at maintaining are the parts
that are really needed to write XCB apps by virtue of being
replacements for Xlib functionality.

> No need to say that I think Arnaud's doing a great job, and weeks are
> passing without any action from your part, so would it be possible that
> (pick one or more options):
> - You review Arnaud's work ;
> - You commit Arnaud's work ;
> - You state that your not able to take maintenance of xcb-util, trust
>   Arnaud and give him direct commit access to xcb-util.

Probably what needs to happen is that we need to split off
icccm and wm from the rest of util and make Arnaud the
maintainer of it.  I think he's the person currently most
interested in it, and seems to be making progress with
it---I'd be up for this.

In the meantime, Arnaud should start the process by cloning
util, deleting the stuff other than icccm and wm, and
pushing the result to a private repo on
people.freedesktop.org.  When we're happy with what's going
on there, we'll move it back into the canonical tree, and in
the meantime he can proceed with his work.

> xcb-util is very nice, but it needs some love. Please let
> him give it what it deserves.

Fair enough.  Thanks much for the note.

    Bart