[Xcb] About the API documentation

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Jan 10 17:17:32 PST 2008

In message <4786B320.2060203 at lavabit.com> you wrote:
> The main page at xcb.freedesktop.org says that the API is
> documented (with a link to the on-line documentation). So,
> I wonder why the API documentation doesn't mention all
> functions mentioned in the tutorial, for example there:
>   xcb_poly_point, xcb_poly_line, xcb_poly_rectangle,
>   xcb_poly_arc, xcb_fill_poly, xcb_map_window

> Is there some particular rason why those drawing functions
> and xcb_map_window are not mentioned, or is it just that
> the API documentation is not ready yet?

The actual protocol request functions of XCB are those of
the X11 Protocol Reference, and are documented there.  The
"stubs" section of the XCB API documentation describes how
to use these requests.  Unlike Xlib, none of the protocol
requests are made in a "magic" way, so there's no desperate
need for a full XCB API document.

A good project for someone would be to semi-automatically
transform the X11 protocol reference into XCB documentation.
However, I'm not aware that anyone is currently working on
it.

    Bart Massey
    bart at cs.pdx.edu