[Xcb] About the API documentation

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Sat Jan 12 07:33:24 PST 2008

Vesa Paatero wrote:
> OK, thanks, I think I understand. I searched and found version X11R6 of
> the protocol in www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/docs/xwindows/PROTO.pdf . Is
> that the most relevant one?

Could be; the core protocol hasn't changed much in a long time.

The most recent copy should be:
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/doc/xorg-docs.git;a=blob_plain;f=hardcopy/XProtocol/proto.PS.gz

> (I also feel curious to see the protocol
> descriptions in XML and wonder how much it might take to automatically
> create program code from them... :-)

It doesn't take much. The XML was designed to allow easy code
generation. libxcb uses XSLT to generate code from the XML, but I found
it *much* faster to develop using perl and XML::Simple or XML::Twig;
others are using python.

I initially wrote luaxcb (a Lua binding for XCB's xproto) in about three
days, if that means anything to you.

http://repo.or.cz/w/luaxcb.git
http://repo.or.cz/w/luaxcb.git?a=blob;f=lua-binding.pl

Peter Harris
--
      Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com