[Xcb] what is generated by XML and what isn't? (newbie question)

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Jan 31 01:51:01 PST 2008

In message <1201765786.5046.1234271503 at webmail.messagingengine.com> you wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm new to XCB and lower-level X11 programming, and I'm a bit confused.
> In order to produce a working libxcb.so library, what parts are
> generated by XML and what parts are hand coded by C? For example, I
> don't see anything which might generate xcb_connect() in xcb-proto/src's
> XML's.

Correct.

The manually generated portion of the interface is split out
from the machine-generated portion in the XCB API docs on
the wiki.  The source is all in the same directory, but once
you've built you'll find that there are .xml files that have
been brought in from xproto for those sources generated from
XML.

Of course, unless you're planning to use the XML for other
purposes, such as supporting a different programming
language, you shouldn't have to care about any of this
unless you want to.

	Bart