[Xcb] XPutImage and context switches / roundtrips?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 11:40:00 PDT 2008

Hello,

My application frequently needs to put 8-bit pixmaps (XPutImage) with
a size of 32x32 or less, so I guess the average size is about
500-750byte.

I've heard that XCB's buffer is fixed at 4kb, so does that mean every
5-10 puts a flush is needed?
If so, does that flush force a round trip?
I guess on single-core systems this means two context switches per flush?

Is there any way to minimize the amount of required flushes, maybe
packing more images in a single request.

Thank you in advance, Clemens