[Xcb] XPutImage and context switches / roundtrips?

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Wed Sep 10 13:05:28 PDT 2008

Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> I've heard that XCB's buffer is fixed at 4kb

True, but that's just an implementation detail. It is completely
invisible to any apps that use XCB, and may change in the future.

>, so does that mean every
> 5-10 puts a flush is needed?

No. XCB automatically flushes its internal buffers whenever it runs out
of space.

> If so, does that flush force a round trip?

No.

> I guess on single-core systems this means two context switches per flush?

You're thinking of sync, not flush.

Peter Harris
--
     Hummingbird Connectivity - A Division of Open Text
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.hummingbird.com