[Xcb] EWMH API for XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Mon Dec 14 10:58:19 PST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:14:54AM +0100, Julien Danjou wrote:
> At 1260732594 time_t, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > Do you really want it in the xcb-util bundle though? Why not manage
> > it as its own project?
>
> Not sure it's a good idea to keep things out. We [awesome] use
> xcb-util heavily, and I spent some time last year rewriting and
> ehancing many parts of it so it can be useful.
> Many functions are needed for Xlib users that want to bring XCB to
> their app/lib, and telling them to go somewhere else where upstream
> might disapear does not seem like a valuable option right now.

I'm only complaining about all the libraries being in the same git repo.
If you want those libraries at git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xcb/libewmh
or similar, with issues discussed on this list and documentation and
tarballs at xcb.freedesktop.org, that's fine with me.

I'm concerned that keeping everything together makes it harder to have
healthy competition in library interfaces. I think X client architecture
has stagnated over the last 20 years because when people had a problem,
they came up with a quick fix, blessed it by putting it in Xlib, and
then no matter how much people hated it they couldn't change it. I don't
want to avoid quick fixes---I want to avoid blessed implementations.

But I absolutely agree that discouraging people from using XCB would be
bad. :-)

> unless we are blocking developement, which we are not currently, at
> least. :-)

Thank goodness you're better at that than I am. :-)

Jamey