[Xcb] EWMH API for XCB

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Dec 16 00:18:49 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:09 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> At 1260922943 time_t, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:
>> As  EWMH becomes  more and  more  popular, I  hope these  atoms will  be
>> pre-defined like  ICCCM, as  it would mean  much less  code/requests. Is
>> there any plan  for that? (I guess  it's not at all a  priority for now,
>> but well, it would be much easier)
>
> As far as I understand, this is not possible until X12: atoms that are
> predefined and atom that are not are a in the proto spec.

Oh yes, I knew there was something I'd forgotten to reply to. That's
absolutely correct: The list of predefined atoms won't change until
the hypothetical X12, which will also replace the root weave with
ponies.

Something could be done with an extension, though. As a thought
experiment, imagine an extension which, if present, means all the EWMH
atoms are in a continguous range that you can query from the
extension. But there wouldn't be much value in that, I think.

Jamey