[Xcb] xproto test failed

Peter Harris git at peter.is-a-geek.org
Mon Feb 16 11:39:37 PST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Antoine Latter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Peter Harris <git at peter.is-a-geek.org> wrote:
>> I guess this is as good a time as any to advertise
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~peterh/xcbproto-enum/
>>  or
>> git pull git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~peterh/xcbproto-enum master
>>
>> which, among other things, reverts that commit and does the same thing
>> in a different way.
>>
>> I'll push http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~peterh/xcbproto-enum/commit/?id=d7f720df741114d42bac270839719aee3da59af5
>> now; it seems to fix the error.
>
> The documentation looks clear.
>
> I'm not sure we need to specify the additional attributes inside list
> or expression declarations, mainly because I'm afraid if we allow it
> someone will try it.

The place of xcb/proto (as I see it) is much like that of the OED:
Descriptive of current usage, not proscriptive.

Changing the protocol to conform better to xcb would be putting the
tail wagging the dog, IMHO.

> If it's already happening, then that's where it needs to go.  It isn't
> a big deal to me either way.

As I noted in the commit comment, the Render extension already has a
<list> of enums.

You're right, associating an enum with an expression would probably be
insane. I'm not sure the extra work of prohibiting it in the XSD is
worth it, however.

Peter Harris