[Xcb] Keyboard input...

Matthew Allen fret at memecode.com
Sun Jan 11 22:35:04 PST 2009

---------- Original Message ----------
To:  (xcb at lists.freedesktop.org)
From: Matthew Allen (fret at memecode.com)
Subject: [Xcb] Keyboard input...
Date: 12/12/2008 9:33:51a

> I'm looking at implementing keyboard input now. Basically in xlib I used
> XIM to translate keyboard input into unicode and I'd like to do the same
> in XCB. Is there an example of using XIM and XCB? (Is it possible?)
>
> If there isn't, what XCB calls to I need to call once I have a XCB key
> press/release?

Ok so no-one has come forward with info on international keyboard input, so what about plain old ascii key input?

I've found xcb_get_keyboard_mapping(), but I don't know how to use that either. Anybody able to point me towards some docs or info on X keyboard mappings or should I read the X protocol spec?

After I satisfy my own needs (english/ascii) I would be interested in doing some work to enable proper international text input in XCB, including east asian and european input. Not sure how that will go, but if XCB is going to go anywhere at all with libs like GTK and Qt, at some point the international input problem needs to be solved? Right?
--
Matthew Allen