[Xcb] Predefined atoms

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Fri Nov 6 13:18:27 PST 2009

Barton C Massey wrote:
> Oh yeah.  That was in my original bitch list, and then I
> forgot to track it.  Thanks for the catch Carsten!
>
> To reply to a future message XCB_ATOM_* seems fine to me.

Please see the attached.

By defining the atoms in xproto.xml/enum/Atom, we get XCB_ATOM_*
definitions not only for libxcb, but also for any other projects that
use xcb/proto. The pre-defined atoms are part of the protocol, after all.

Instead of outright removing the old names, I've marked them
'deprecated'. We can perhaps remove them after a couple of releases. At
least xcb/util/icccm, awesome, and xlsclients all currently use the old
names from xcb/util/atom.

Notes:
 - altenum="Atom" used to mean "this field may be XCB_ATOM_NONE", and is
now roughly meaningless. Adding (or removing) altenum="Atom" to (from)
every type="ATOM" in xcb/proto can be discussed later.
 - I appear to have used the Canadian/British spelling of favour.

Review welcome.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group