[Xcb] GSoC 2009: XKB and XI2 support

Mariusz Ceier mceier at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:12:36 PDT 2009

Peter Harris pisze:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Mariusz Ceier wrote:
>>   I would nee d some RFC on new tags that I introduced for XKB, from the
>> point of view of code generators of different languages.
>
> I'll try to do a more thorough review later, but this one stuck out:
>
>>  - replyof - makes copy of reply of given request a field of other
>> request, e.g.
>>    <replyof request="GetMap" name="map" />
>
> Why? Can this not be done using the copy/paste function in your
> editor? Or did I misunderstand the purpose of this syntax?

Everything can be done this way :) If attached diff is acceptable I can
merge it.
replyof is something like field with type of reply of some request,
instead of some structure. Don't you think that these fields could be
also replaced by fields of referenced structure ?
Referencing replies of requests can be done another way, by explicitly
naming replies ( I think that change would require change in all xml's,
not to mention ensuring backwards compatibility ).

> Every single piece of syntax you add is another piece of syntax that
> *every* generator must support. In particular, this one looks like a
> real pain to add to the Wireshark dissector (now on trunk -
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/tools/process-x11-xcb.pl?view=markup&pathrev=29871
> ).
Right, every time the syntax changes, every generator should be updated,
but it doesn't mean that syntax can't change. XKB needs syntax changes (
at least conditional tags ), so why not think about what tags/changes
are needed and feasible now ?

Mariusz Ceier