[Xcb] GSoC 2009: XKB and XI2 support

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Sep 16 10:54:53 PDT 2009

In message <761126CD-41F5-43B6-9F6E-7DCBBACD874E at quirkster.com> you wrote:
> Many of the constructs included in the protocol
> descriptions are backbends to support legacy extensions
> rather than to support best practice for new X protocol
> extensions.  Would it be worthwhile to mark certain
> constructs as deprecated as a guide for new extension
> authors?

I'm not sure deprecated is quite the right word (this would
seem to imply that these constructs should not be used for
describing old extensions either, which isn't what we mean)
but the idea is absolutely right.  There should be a
best-practice guide for extension writers also---death to
inanely-complicated request and reply structures.

I'm thinking about organizing an XCB Workshop and Book
Sprint (http://en.flossmanuals.net/BookSprints/) for
sometime in early 2010.  Anybody want to come to Portland on
X.Org's dime and work on XCB for a couple of days, then
document for a few more?

    Bart