[Xcb] xcb-util: ewmh library

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Fri Sep 25 08:38:49 PDT 2009

Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     > One  comment, from a  quick look: Your *_checked  functions should
>     > return a cookie, not void, like the functions they wrap.
>
> Yes, thanks!  I  have just fixed this issue in  my repository[0] and I'm
> about  to commit  a similar  patch  for xcb-util/icccm,  even if  nobody
> actually complained about that (maybe because there is only a few people
> using it).

Aye. I don't think I've ever used a *_checked interface.

>     >> Anybody could give me advices about the header file (mentioned in
>     >> my previous email)?
>
>     > I'm not  quite sure what you need. You're  already using .m4 files
>     >  for the atom  list. Perhaps  something similar  could be  used to
>     > generate the missing parts of your header file?
>
> I would  prefer to avoid using  m4 for that  because it will be  hard to
> read, but  on the other  hand using macros  would be ugly in  the header
> file, what do you think?

Unless I'm mistaken, m4 macros aren't that different from C preprocessor
macros. So if it's going to be hard to read either way, I'd prefer the
installed header files to be readable.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I frequently use the .h files
installed on my system as documentation.

All that said, it isn't really a big deal. Anyone reading .h files for
documentation is capable of understanding preprocessor macros.

Peter Harris
--
               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://www.opentext.com/connectivity