[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 10 16:11:20 PDT 2010

I have to make some assumptions here:
- the xcb/util repository is moving into five new repositories
- opportunities for reuse are being investigated

> > [0]
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~arnau/xorg-util-macros/commit/?id=28c561b3dd5729ffa511cfb3727dfff36477d80a

I see a couple of reusable chunks, mainly the version compare and
setting related xcb path.
The rest is miscellaneous and kills reusability. I would factor out
these two chunks in separate macros.
Just like C code, it's more reusable if it does only one thing and has
no side-effects.

It remains to be seen if either of those are reusable by non-xcb
packages (libX11?). I cannot answer that.

There is a dependency on AX_* macros. You cannot rely on this macro
being present on all platforms, being at the correct version or not
being hacked. Xorg is a similar position with respect to AX_* macros.
The only safe way is for any package using it to have it's own copy.
This means there cannot be a copy in util-macros, for example.

If you decide to have one of the 5 new repo to contain common code
(macros, C code or whatever), or a separate repo, keep in mind the
backward compatibility challenge. There will be a mix bag of versions in
the field.

> > [1]
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~arnau/xorg-util-macros/commit/?id=309b691da4d7a3c7e72f1b8a71c1fc18a7039cea

This one is reusable. Xorg packages do not check for the presence of
m4.
This is the message I get if it missing:

        autoreconf: running: aclocal -I /home/nadon/xorg/src/share/aclocal
        autom4te: need GNU m4 1.4 or later: /usr/bin/m4

I am not sure autoconf will even get as far as to run your test. Perhaps
it is not needed.

That's all I can think of for now, not being familiar with xcb.