[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Thu Aug 12 10:07:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 15:41 +0200, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Would you consider applying the patch adding XORG_CHECK_GNU_M4 macro
> and
> also  the  version  bump?  Let  me  know  if  you  want  me  to
> correct
> anything. Thanks much!

I have tested the xcb proposed XORG_CHECK_GNU_M4 and I found some
problems mainly due
to assumptions.

        - When m4 is present without -I support (gm4 absent), result is correct,
          but m4 is tested twice.
        - When m4 is absent and gm4 is present in $PATH (not /usr/gnu/bin)
          without -I support, there is no error message when there should be one.
          gm4 is tested twice.
        - If there is no m4 or gm4 present in $PATH, /usr/gnu/bin/gm4 will not be found
        - If a /usr/gnu/bin/gm4 is found, (because there is an m4 in $PATH), it is not
          tested for -I support.
        - If a gnu processor is named m4 rather than gm4, it will not be found in /usr/gnu/bin.

I have rewritten my version of the patch and fully tested it. It does
not make any assumption other than executable name being m4 or gm4. It
should resist changes for a longer period. It would be nice if someone
else could test it.

Keep in mind this macro will be there for decades and may be used on
platforms you may not expect (GNU/Hurd, embedded systems ...)

Thanks