[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Mon Aug 16 12:49:48 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 11:40 -0700, Barton C Massey wrote:

> IMHO, it would be perfectly reasonable to raise the required
> versions of autoconf/automake for all of X.  I'd prefer that
> to some kludge that makes things work with older autoconf.

I have been pushing to move from 2.57 (2002!) to 2.60.
Some packages would not configure under 2.57. That was the
justification.

I wouldn't go as far as saying we need to revert to kludges. Just normal
looping as the macro does not do it for us.

> autoconf 2.60 was released in June 2006, and 2.61 in
> November 2006.  I don't think that we're going to cripple
> anyone by requiring this "later" version.

We are talking 2.62 here, which is just 2 years behind (2008).
It's not available (as a distro installable package) in Hardy LTS for
example
and probably not on Solaris.

Suggestion: you can use this macro in xcb, forcing the issue of
upgrading.
Anyone who wants to build xcb has to upgrade. If we put it in
util-macros,
everyone need to upgrade their computer overnight to build any of the
240 packages.
After a while, when people have upgraded, we can promote the macro to
util-macros
without compatibility issues for xcb.

I am far from being against upgrading, in this case the code would be
ahead of the installed toolchain.
We would be ok to use automake 1.10 however.

Gaetan