[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Aug 24 14:48:28 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 22:46 +0200, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Would  AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK  be  useful  for  another  macros
> of
> util-macros?

Yes, we can find existing xorg packages where the use of this macro
would reduce coding
(as it does for us in this case). Not having it, it's just a bit more
code.

> If  not, I  agree with  you about adding  the macro  to xcb
> (through  the m4-common  repository already  used for  macros  common
> xcb-util    libraries)    rather     than    util-macros.     In
> case
> AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK  would   be  useful  for   other  macros
> in
> util-macros, why not just have something like:
>
> m4_ifndef([AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK], [
> AC_DEFUN([AC_PATH_PROGS_FEATURE_CHECK],
> [COPY_OF_MACROS_FROM_AUTOCONF])
> ])
> Then, as soon as Autoconf 2.62  becomes the minimum version, we can
> just
> get rid of that easily. What do you think?

I had a peek at the macro. It calls another macro which the author
claims it's too ugly to make public.
I'd rather have a bit of repetitive  code than a piece no one can
understand. Otherwise I would do it, I have seen done in a few places.

Bottom line I don't think it's worth the trouble. There isn't enough
demand for it and the alternative is acceptable. All it really does is
loop through the input and test each case. My m4 skills are limited, but
this is something that can be done in an elegant way.

Gaetan