[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Wed Aug 25 11:21:44 PDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Arnaud Fontaine wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply, I was busy with IRL issues ;).
>
>    > We  are talking 2.62  here, which is  just 2 years  behind (2008).
>    > It's not available (as  a distro installable package) in Hardy LTS
>    > for example and probably not on Solaris.
>
> And  probably other  distributions  we are  not  aware of.   2 years  is
> probably not  enough and I  guess a lot  of people would complain  if we
> require such a "recent" version of autoconf.

Imho, this is a false problem.

The autotools are for *developpers*. Developpers just have to agree about
a version of autoconf and of other tools.

The users will have tarballs obtained by the 'dist' rule, hence no need of
the autotools.

If a user wants to compile the git version, then he is able to use git and
to compile the xcb stuff. So compiling and installing a newer version of
autoconf will be easy.

And in addition, 99.99% of users will use a package from their distro,
so...

So, imho, choose the version of autoconf that suits you the best.

regards

Vincent