[Xcb] Carbon, the new xcb based terminal emulator.

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Thu Mar 11 04:28:28 PST 2010

Hi Simon! Congratulations, you've triggered a more vocal discussion than
we usually have. :-) Hey everybody, let's lay off the core vs. client
fonts debate and try to answer the question. :-)

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 08:16:17PM -0500, Simon Gomizelj wrote:
> Hello, new guy here. My name is Simon Gomizelj and I recently took it upon
> myself to try to write a terminal emulator build on xcb.

I'm honestly excited to hear that. There's probably something wrong with
me.

> I've got much of the plumbing done on the terminal side of things, but I'm
> having issues with the xcb side of things. Right now I'm trying to print a
> series of lines of text with xcb as a test. However I can't seem to get a
> correct character height querying the font. The following code is returning
> these values:

This is tricky for me: I've been working on XCB since 2001 and I still
don't know the protocol very well. But I think I see the problem here.

> gc = getfontgc(w, "-*-terminus-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*");
>
> fontcookie = xcb_query_font(w->conn, gc);
> fontreply = xcb_query_font_reply(w->conn, fontcookie, NULL);
> info = xcb_query_font_char_infos(fontreply);
>
> info->ascent is 8, should be 10
> info->descent is 0, should be 2

xcb_query_font_char_infos returns an array containing all the individual
character metrics, so you've requested metrics for character 0. I think
instead you wanted fontreply->font_ascent and fontreply->font_descent?
The values you expected also show up in fontreply->maxbounds.ascent and
fontreply->maxbounds.descent, so I guess you might have meant that.

I checked this with xlsfonts (after installing xfonts-terminus and
running `xset fp rehash`):

xlsfonts -lll -m -o -fn "-*-terminus-medium-r-normal-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
  ascent:               10
  descent:              2
  font type:            Character Cell
  bounds:               width left  right  asc  desc   attr   keysym
        min                6     0     0     0    -9  0x0000
        max                6     2     6    10     2  0x0000
  character metrics:
        0x0000 (0)         6     0     5     8     0  0x0000  .

I hope that helps!
Jamey

p.s. I do think everybody should be using client-side fonts though. ;-)