[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Mar 23 12:29:39 PDT 2010

Ian Osgood <iano at quirkster.com> writes:
> I think the rationale for aux was that although some stuff hides the
> protocol, it also will help XCB adoption by 1) giving ex-Xlib
> programmers some familiar functions to call (e.g. xcb_aux_sync), 2)
> reduce boilerplate code that would otherwise need to be copied into
> every XCB project (e.g. xcb_aux_get_screen), and 3) avoid common bugs
> (xcb_aux_create_window, etc). For example, is the bug below
> immediately obvious from inspection?

To me it is, but I'm really an XCB geek now. :-)

> That said, a lot of what is in aux (and util) is experimental, written
> before there were any XCB applications, and certainly deserves review!
> I agree with most of your points above. Perhaps a review of the
> current applications which are now using XCB is in order, looking for
> common patterns which can be factored out into utility libraries.  (Is
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/adoption/ still up to date?)

Sounds like an idea.
FWIW, we already did that with Arnaud and almost merged every piece of
XCB code we had in awesome into xcb-util, in order to make them
available to the world.

> Another thing that would really sell XCB would be an O'Reilly book.

Well, it's really too soon for that IMHO.
Writting an X application nowadays requires a lot of stuff that does not
support XCB. And porting them to XCB is merely impossible because XCB
like some heavy stuff that are now considered base, like XKB.

If you want to sell a book that explain how write a X11 application that
can only use english keyboard and server font, I'm not sure we're going
to conquer the world soon. ;-)

--
Julien Danjou
// ᐰ <julien at danjou.info>   http://julien.danjou.info