[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 13:08:33 PDT 2010

In message <87d3yukfa4.fsf at keller.adm.naquadah.org> you wrote:
> Ian Osgood <iano at quirkster.com> writes:
> FWIW, we already did that with Arnaud and almost merged
> every piece of XCB code we had in awesome into xcb-util,
> in order to make them available to the world.

Thanks huge for that.

> > Another thing that would really sell XCB would be an
> > O'Reilly book.
>
> Well, it's really too soon for that IMHO.  Writting an X
> application nowadays requires a lot of stuff that does not
> support XCB. And porting them to XCB is merely impossible
> because XCB like some heavy stuff that are now considered
> base, like XKB.

I think keyboard and some of 3D are the only big missing
gaps, right?  Anybody got others?  Is there a problem with
using Xft at this point?  I would assume that we would use
Cairo-XCB for all the 2D rendering of text and graphics in
an O'Reilly book anyhow...

> If you want to sell a book that explain how write a X11
> application that can only use english keyboard and server
> font, I'm not sure we're going to conquer the world
> soon. ;-)

Indeed. :-)  We should finish this thing just about the time
nobody cares about X anymore.

    Bart