[Xcb] About next release of xcb/util

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Tue Mar 23 12:43:44 PDT 2010

Twas brillig at 11:37:40 23.03.2010 UTC-07 when bart at cs.pdx.edu did gyre and gimble:

 >> I've already been hit by a GNOME guy because when adding XCB support
 >> to libstartup-notification I add to link this last one to 3 xcb-util
 >> libs (event, atom and aux). And they say it slows down the
 >> application startup (no clue about that, I'm not an expert in this
 >> area).

 BCM> The dynamic loader has been really broken in this area in the
 BCM> past.  IIRC it's mostly fixed now.

Sorry for offtopic - could you give any pointers? I'm bitten by exactly
this performance problem on smallish embedded device and exactly with
the libraries discussed: Enlightenment Foundation Libraries (lot of
small .so) backed by XCB (another set of small .so).

 >> For people coming from Xlib, probably. I spent most time using XCB
 >> than Xlib and I never had to use this stuff that just hides the
 >> protocol, making people more stupid.  They are interesting for
 >> documentation purpose as I said, but to use them, no way IMHO.

 BCM> I think we can agree to disagree on this one. :-) I can't imagine
 BCM> what I'd be learning by hand-building the weird value lists that
 BCM> the protocol wants, once I got the basic message that the protocol
 BCM> wants weird value lists sometimes.

Just my to cents as a XCB user: yes, weird value lists are... weird, and
no fun to build.

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/