[Xcb] xcb_wait_for_reply deadlocking with xcb_property_changed call

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Wed Mar 31 05:30:01 PDT 2010

Nicholas Allen <nick.allen at onlinehome.de> writes:

> When I get a property change notify from the x server I don't know the
> value it changed to and have to get its value. I thought that the
> property utils library made this possible in an asynchronous manner and
> would call my callback with the reply from the x server for the
> property's value. What utility library should I be using instead for
> this functionality?

This is exactly what it does, but it is not asynchronous, because it
does:
callback(get_property_reply(get_property()))

Which is totally stupid since you may want to:
1. Not get the property reply (i.e. you just want to know it has changed
   but you do not care about the new value)
2. Get the property in a async manner:
   callback {
            get_property()
            domystuff()