[Xcb] xcb workshop?

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sun Sep 26 10:36:59 PDT 2010

First off, thanks huge for the prodding and suggestions on
the XCB Workshop.  (Also, thanks huge for your help with
XCB.) Really, really appreciated.

I am just plain swamped right now, and don't have time to be
the lead on planning and organizing an XCB workshop.  Here's
some comments, hopefully for others to roll with:

  * The workshop will only happen if we make a commitment to
    a particular place and time, thus binding ourselves to
    not let it slide.  The obvious places / times are either
    the joint Gnome / KDE conf as you suggest, or XDC 2011.

    For several reasons, I like your suggestion better.  It
    might help us recruit new active developers, which would
    be awesome---a few active people are doing most of the
    work right now (sadly I'm not one of them currently),
    and we could definitely use more.  As you say, it would
    be nice to discuss how XCB fits in with Gnome and KDE.
    It's in Berlin this year, and Europe is where many of
    our active developers currently are.  On the other hand,
    August 2011 is a bit far away at this point.

    A third alternative is to hold it in Portland, in which
    case I can work with the organizers to get that space we
    held XDC 2009 in.  This has the obvious advantage that
    Jamey, Josh and I are all here; the obvious disadvantage
    that it would mean an extra, potentially expensive trip
    for everyone else.

  * A minimum of 6 months lead time from the *firm
    announcement* of the event seems to be necessary.
    People need to arrange their passports and potentially
    visas, arrange travel, etc.

  * This is one of those events that only makes sense if we
    get essentially *all* the key people there.  Again, I am
    probably not one of these. :-) At minimum, I'd say
    there's about 6 specific folks that have to be there for
    it to make any sense at all.  Thus, there's some kind of
    process that needs to happen in choosing a place and
    time that ensures that all of the key folks will attend.

Let me know if there are specific ways I can help.

	Bart