[Xcb] XCB documentation effort status update

Michael Stapelberg michael+xcb at stapelberg.de
Mon Nov 28 14:15:09 PST 2011

Hi,

I have now modified auto* so that it installs the manpages, also they are no
longer written to /tmp/man but to src/man/ instead.

See my commits at https://github.com/mstap/libxcb/commits/master

Now, there is one problem:

1) xcb-proto contains the protocol description, as you know, and therefore the
   list of manpages depends on it – if there is a new request, there needs to
   be a new manpage.

2) In libxcb, the manpages are generated when c_client.py is called on each
   xcb-proto xml file (at compile time).

3) Autotools needs to know the list of files at autogen-time (before
   compiling).

So, how can we tell Autotools which manpages it needs to install when we don’t
actually know at that point in time?

At the moment, I am bundling a file called src/list_of_manpages.inc which is
generated when running c_client.py with the new -m option. However, this file
has to be kept up-to-date manually, which is bad.

Do you have any ideas on how to solve this problem in a better way?

Best regards,
Michael