[Xcb] newby questions regarding the struct, "ButtonState"

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Sat Mar 31 02:23:51 PDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 31 2012, Rick Stockton wrote:

> (1) Does a ButtonState 'Notify' supply a full-width mask? The struct size
> and layout seems to impoly that it does.

It's hard to know, but I don't think it's a XCB question, it's a X11
protocol question :-) I took a look the spec, but didn't guess. It's
weird to return 8 bits for one button. Except if each button may have
its own modifiers set ? I'm not familiar with Xinput, so I don't know.
Taking a look at source code that uses it may help, but maybe someone knows.

> (2) If so: I see a "notify" event, but no Getter method. Is there a way than
> I can acquire the current button mask? If a User (for example, using KDE
> Desktop with the under-Development Kwin/XCB) has buttons pressed upon Window
> Entry; or leaves the Window, Release a held Button, and then returns to the
> Window, I assume that we will not receive a NOTIFY. I'd like to do a Request
> with Response for these cases, can I do that?

I think I saw XIQueryPointer… but it seems to be only present in
Xinput2, and I don't think we have this in XCB since we seem to only
have XInput. :-(

> And BTW, we've removed xlib support in Qt5, switching to xcb on X11
> platforms. :)

Whoa!? This is amazing guys.

--
           Julien