[Xcb] RFC: <event ... generic="true"> or <genericevent ...>?

Daniel Martin consume.noise at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:19:16 PST 2013

Hi everyone,

here's something else we need for XI2: Generic Events

In XI2 all events are generic events. The header of generic events
differs from standard events and therefor, we need to mark such events
that they need this generic event header.

One way could be to add an additional boolean attribute "generic" to the
event element:
    <event ... generic="true">
Which would be false by default and true for generic events.

Or we could add a new element "genericevent":
    <genericevent ...>
If we choose this one, we should add an "genericeventcopy" too. Just for
the nameing convention.

I would prefer the first solution (a new attribute). Anyone against
that? So, speak up now or ... ;)

Cheers,
    Daniel Martin

PS: A generic event header looks like: