[Xcb] RFC: <event ... generic="true"> or <genericevent ...>?

Josh Triplett josh at joshtriplett.org
Mon Jan 7 20:20:43 PST 2013

On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 01:19:16AM +0100, Daniel Martin wrote:
> here's something else we need for XI2: Generic Events
>
> In XI2 all events are generic events. The header of generic events
> differs from standard events and therefor, we need to mark such events
> that they need this generic event header.

All events, or just the events large enough to need more space than the
standard event structure has available?

> One way could be to add an additional boolean attribute "generic" to the
> event element:
>     <event ... generic="true">
> Which would be false by default and true for generic events.
>
> Or we could add a new element "genericevent":
>     <genericevent ...>
> If we choose this one, we should add an "genericeventcopy" too. Just for
> the nameing convention.
>

> I would prefer the first solution (a new attribute). Anyone against
> that? So, speak up now or ... ;)

I would strongly prefer the attribute as well.  I'd suggest calling the
attribute "xge", though, to match the extension.  That seems less
confusing than "generic", particularly since XCB uses "generic event"
for its structure for unidentified normal X11 events.

- Josh Triplett