[Xcb] RFC: API break in xinput

Uli Schlachter psychon at znc.in
Tue Jan 8 00:35:11 PST 2013

Hi,

On 08.01.2013 09:20, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
[...]
>> In XI2 events are not prefixed and there's a FocusIn/Out too. But,
>> that's due to a mistake as the "old" FocusIn/Out events we currently
>> have should have been called DeviceFocusIn/Out:
>>    http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/proto/inputproto/tree/specs/XIproto.txt#n2361
>> Here I realy would like to rename the "old" events, give them their
>> proper names and therefor _break the api_.
> I think that’s okay, given that the fix to compile with both old and new
> xcb looks like this:
>
> /* just as an example, not sure which version this will be and how the
>     variable is called */
> #if XCB_MAJOR_VERSION < 5
> #define xcb_input_device_focus_in_event_t xcb_input_focus_in_event_t
> #endif

Shouldn't this be a check on the version of xcb/proto that libxcb was built
with? After all, one can (often) use newer libxcb with older versions of the
protocol descriptions.

The only way I know for getting this information is:

  $ pkg-config --variable xcbproto_version xcb
  1.8

So this information cannot easily be accessed by the C preprocessor.

Uli