[Xcb] good news & bad news about xcb wiki/website

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sat Sep 14 13:25:53 PDT 2013

Good news! Joe fixed the xcb wiki login to allow editing via the web interface
again, and it uses the unified freedesktop.org ikiwiki login scheme now,
instead of having to have a different account & password for each wiki hosted
on fd.o.

There were some side effects of this though that affect how you edit it:

  - If you had an account in the old system, but haven't gotten one in the new
    fd.o wiki system yet (i.e. in the last few months), you'll need to follow
    http://wiki.freedesktop.org/sitewranglers/wiki/401/ to get one.

  - If you had a git clone of the wiki from it's old location, you'll need to
    update it now to pull from & push to
	ssh://wiki.freedesktop.org/srv/ikiwiki/git/xcb.git

Bad news!  A side effect of the move was the accidental loss of the old contents
of http://xcb.freedesktop.org/manual/ which appears to have been a doxygen dump
of xcb 1.2 from 2009.

Good news! Joe helped me upload a 2013 doxygen dump from xcb 1.9ish (current
git master actually), so the docs should be more up-to-date now (too up-to-date?
I didn't check, as it was better than 404's for everything).

So they don't get as stale in the future, I've added a note to
http://xcb.freedesktop.org/ReleasingXcb to remind people making future releases
to do this.  (Should probably also note on that page the xorg release.sh script
can automate many of those steps now.)

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com