[Xcb] Docs?

Patrick patrick at spellingbeewinnars.org
Mon Aug 11 16:40:33 PDT 2014

I don't really know anything, I am just learning too.

I am reading old X windows books I bought on Abebooks, mostly for $1-$5.

Could someone tell me where zlib is? I can only find the compression
library.

I also want to mention that I have been tinkering with toolkits like
WxPython, GTK with many bindings, including native C, QT, FLTK, TK and more.

They are all fine but make assumptions that the user is using a mouse.
With touch screens dropping in price, I feel that a lot could be done
with a weeny toolkit just on top of xcb. I am trying to write a kiosk
like program.

Having only X could improve performance on single board computer like
BeagleBoard and Raspberry PI. Shipping a Live CD/DVD without large
toolkits may also be a good thing. I am toying with the idea of shipping
just Debian stable with IceWm. It would not have a lot of features but I
am hoping it would be a reliable graphical appliance to serve a single
purpose.

I have been using Linux for 10 years now and it seems to me that most
bugs occur in graphical user interfaces. I wonder if plain old X and xcb
API will make it easier to write responsible, reliable code.

Robert, my code is still crap but if you want any one-to-one help just
contact me offlist.