[Xcb] Docs?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Aug 11 17:36:27 PDT 2014

On 08/11/14 04:40 PM, Patrick wrote:
> I don't really know anything, I am just learning too.
>
> I am reading old X windows books I bought on Abebooks, mostly for $1-$5.
>
> Could someone tell me where zlib is? I can only find the compression library.

That's the only zlib I know of.

> I have been using Linux for 10 years now and it seems to me that most bugs occur
> in graphical user interfaces. I wonder if plain old X and xcb API will make it
> easier to write responsible, reliable code.

No, it will make it much much much harder.  The toolkits have already solved
and debugged many problems you will face in writing code to the lower levels,
and applied the expertise of many people to problems you haven't even imagined,
like writing text in all the world's languages, providing accessible interfaces
to those who need assistive technology, and providing common UI's instead of
every program starting with image drawing & mouse handling and having to
reinvent menus, buttons, etc. on top once again.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com