[Xcb] Trying to understand sequence of xcb_(leave|enter|focus_in|focus_out)_events

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon May 26 17:04:15 PDT 2014

I'm trying to understand the sequence of events I'm getting from xorg-x11 in
a basic situation involving a pointer button 1 click inside the window.

When the pointer button 1 is pressed inside that window, with the window
already having keyboard input focus, I see that I'm getting the following
events, all for the window in question:

- XCB_LEAVE_NOTIFY with detail 0
- XCB_FOCUS_OUT with detail 0
- XCB_ENTER_NOTIFY with detail 0
- XCB_BUTTON_PRESS for button 1.

So, how do I interpret that? The first event is LeaveNotify with detail 0,
and according to xcb_notify_detail_t is XCB_NOTIFY_DETAIL_ANCESTOR. But
according to
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html#events:LeaveNotify
a LeaveNotify with detail Ancestor gets generated when a pointer leaves a
window for its ancestor window. But all I did was click with the pointer
inside the window. The second event is a FocusOut also with a detail of 0,
which, I'm reading, would happen when keyboard focus moves to the window's
ancestor; however I don't think I'm doing anything that should be changing
the input focus, here.

Then, the third event is an enter from an ancestor window; and then finally
the button press event I was expecting to see.

Does anyone have any idea what's triggering the unexpected leave/focus
out/enter event sequence?