[Xcb] New release of xcb ?

Christian Linhart chris at DemoRecorder.com
Sun Aug 30 02:07:57 PDT 2015

Hi Olivier,

On 08/26/15 11:21, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>  - The new version would 1.12, right?
No. I suggest to use 1.11.1 because it's really a side-branch starting at 1.11.
This will be consistent with the naming of the 1.9.x series: 1.9, 1.9.1, 1.9.2, 1.9.3.

>  - The SONAME wouldn't need to be bumped as it's only API addition, not chnages, would it?
The SONAME is bumped extremely rarel libxcb, so it is probably OK to keep it the same for that release.
But I am not sure.
@Uli and others: What do you think? Is there a general best-practice policy for this?

>  - The branch would be xcb-1.12 (yet, I don't see any branch named xcb-1.10 nor 1.11 in git, only xcb-1.9)
No, that branch will be xcb-1.11, when we use the version 1.11.1 for it.

There is no branch for xcb-1.10 because that release did not have bugfix-followups like 1.9. did, and like 1.11. will get.

> Anyhow, I am not going to push anything myself, so I'd set up all this in my fd.o user account and send the patches/link/pull request for review.
Thank you for offering to prepare anything until the point where it is ready to be pushed to the official repo.
(I'd appreciate if you push it yourself, but it's OK if you prepare it as you have proposed.)

In any case please test the release thoroughly before making it available in your fd.o account and posting the patches.

@Uli, since you already have experience with making a release, can you help with making the release?

> Does that sound okay?
Yes, it does.

Cheers,