[Xcb] status of XCB + Xlib + GLX -> OpengGL

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Mon Jul 20 01:04:33 PDT 2015

    Hello,

Le 2015-07-19 18:35, Cosmin Apreutesei a écrit :
> "Note that, due to some unfortunate design decisions, most OpenGL GLX
> libraries are incompatible with XSetEventQueueOwner"

This is unfortunately correct. Some (if not all) GLX drivers rely on
receiving events through XLib. YMMV, but drivers tend to break in subtle
or not so subtle ways if the events queue is rerouted to XCB.

(...)
> I've started out with XCB but now I wonder if it was the right
> decision vs Xlib. Some relief appreciated :)

In my experience (mostly with VLC), you have three options:

- stick to pure XLib,
- use XCB only for requests/responses, not events,
- open separate XLib and XCB connections.

Ditto for EGL with X11 platform. I am not aware of any efforts toward
EGL with XCB.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/