[Xcb] xml schema

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Mon Jul 27 12:44:01 PDT 2015

For the most part, strings are lists of "char" and lists of small
integers are lists of "BYTE", "CARD8", or "INT8".

I haven't audited the entire code base to see if this convention is used
consistently. A patch to fix any deviations would be appreciated.

Peter Harris

Aside: PolyText(8|16) is a troublesome case that needs to be a list of
(something that contains a <switch>) instead of "BYTE", since "char"
wouldn't be correct in the current description either.

On 2015-07-27 15:30, Bart Massey wrote:
> I can't remember whether we have a structural typedef in the schema so
> that it can correspond better with the protocol docs, but if we don't we
> probably should. That would capture strings (STRING8, STRING16) as well
> as various other corner cases (TIMESTAMP, BUTTON, KEYCODE, etc). For
> now, it may be better to just kludge STRING8 and STRING16 into the
> schema, but it seems like that could get exciting without some notion of
> structural type equivalency, maybe?
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:50 AM Ben Hildred <42656e at gmail.com
> <mailto:42656e at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     It is possible that I missed something, but I believe there is a
>     small opportunity for improvement to the schema which would make
>     life significantly easier for those using languages with a true
>     string type. I have noticed that there are at least three different
>     uses for a list of integers of a given size in the x protocol. For
>     example a list of bytes can be a string (image text 8), an array of
>     numbers (set dashes), or some other type of data (set pointer
>     mapping) I have not seen a place to store this information in the
>     schema. I doubt it would be used in c but it  would be handy for
>     perl where I am using local lookup tables to keep it straight.
>     --
>     --
>     Ben Hildred
>     Automation Support Services
>     303 815 6721

               Open Text Connectivity Solutions Group
Peter Harris                    http://connectivity.opentext.com/
Research and Development        Phone: +1 905 762 6001
pharris at opentext.com            Toll Free: 1 877 359 4866