[Xcb] Window decoration with xcb

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Wed Oct 7 09:58:08 PDT 2015

On 2015-10-07 09:47, deco33000 Jog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to create a custom window manager for linux.
> My first step would be to create window decorations.

Actually, your first step should be reading and understanding all of
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xorg-docs/icccm/icccm.html
and
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
along with most of
http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html

> I need to put my designed images to replace the close, resize and
> minify buttons and change the border look and color.
>
> Unfortunately, I followed the
> http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/libxcb/tutorial/index.html
> tutorial with no luck finding what I need.

If you're still at the tutorial stage, I recommend you choose something
other than a window manager as your first project.

A window manager is a complex and difficult project even if you're
already familiar with XCB and the X11 protocol.

> What are the first steps to achieve that, please?

If you still insist, a complete example of an XCB based non-tiling
window manager can be retrieved from
git://anongit.kde.org/kwin

Peter Harris
--