[Xcb] How can I increase the maximum request length?

paul ewing pcewing at outlook.com
Fri Jan 18 22:29:21 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am running into an issue with xcb_image_put failing. The cookie being
returned has a sequence number of 0. After reading the following thread from
this mailing list I believe it's due to my maximum request size being too low:

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2006-June/001687.html

The reason I suspect this is that the code in question is being used to set the
root pixmap (I.E. Set the wallpaper) and works on one machine where the display
(And thus the image) is 1920x1080, but fails on another machine with a
3440x1440 display.

As the documentation mentions, the request size is actually the number of 4
byte blocks. The image data size should be the pixel count multiplied by the
bytes per pixel (4 in my case), so it would make sense that the first case
would succeed and the second would fail:
- (1920*1080*4)/4 => 2073600 < 4194303  OKAY
- (3440*1440*4)/4 => 4953600 > 4194303  ERROR

I verified via xdpyinfo that the BIG-REQUESTS extension is present and also
tried manually running xcb_big_requests_enable and
xcb_big_requests_enable_reply, which returned without an error.

Even still, the result of xcb_get_maximum_request_length is 4194303.

Is there something I need to do to manually increase the maximum request
length?

Thanks,
Paul Ewing