[Xcb] [EXTERNAL] - Attempt at writing a tutorial

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Thu Feb 11 17:15:41 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-10 Lucas wrote:
> I am writing a XCB tutorial as an exercise, so far, this is what I
> have https://biteiro.ga/xcb.html
>
> There are a few things I couldn't find details yet, such as what does
> the flags XCB_REQUEST_CHECKED, XCB_REQUEST_RAW,
> XCB_REQUEST_DISCARD_REPLY, and XCB_REQUEST_REPLY_FDS do?

Those values are for internal use by libxcb (and/or xlib), and are not intended to be used by a normal user of libxcb.

Who is your tutorial intended for? Showing the inner workings is more of a "deep documentation" thing than a "tutorial" thing.

> Are there any
> explanations on the members of the struct xcb_unmap_window_request_t?

libxcb is a thin wrapper around the X11 protocol. As such, the documentation for those fields can be found at:

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html#request_format

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/xproto/x11protocol.html#requests:UnmapWindow

Peter Harris