The xdg-app story

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Mar 21 12:47:37 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On sön, 2016-03-20 at 15:38 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I'm struggling with the "story" for xdg-app. xdg-app is a technical
>> name and isn't any good for googling, branding, doesn't have a logo,
>> or anything like a snazzy website. Compared to other names (cough,
>> "snappy") I think it's going to be hard to promote with the current
>> lack of website and name.
>
> Yeah, I agree. Another problem is that there is no good word for
> something packaged with xdg-app. "an app", "an xdg-app app", or things
> like that doesn't really pop in a document text.

I'd go for "Containers" or "Bundles". These are well-known concepts
nowadays and quite related to what xdg-app is trying to solve.

My impression is that the success of xdg-app will be if it becomes an
industry standard. If it has a cool name, it will mean that there's
other technologies that do the same just as well and should be taken
into account.

Aleix