Flathub, initial proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Sep 26 13:54:57 UTC 2016

On fre, 2016-09-23 at 21:35 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Robert McQueen
>
> Hi all,
>
> first of all, apologies for taking forever to respond here, I've been
> busy with holidays, work and life as they say.
>

> > On 30/08/16 15:20, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > >
> > > I imagine a web service that you create an account on, somewhat
> > > similar
> > > to say github or the ubuntu PPA service. Your account gets access
> > > to a
> > > per-user ostree repository, and you can create projects and
> > > upload
> > > builder json manifests for them. These get automatically build on
> > > several arches and you can pull the builds for testing. Once the
> > > build
> > > is working you can click a button to push them to a stable
> > > repository
> > > that you can tell your users to pull from.
> > >
> > > One very important issue is where to host this initially. I want
> > > bring this up with the Gnome Foundation as a start, but we may
> > > also
> > > want to talk to e.g. Digital Ocean for hosting. They seem to be
> > > sponsoring a lot of free software stuff.
> > Freedesktop.org itself has some pretty large boxes donated by the
> > likes
> > of HP, Intel and Google, hosted for free with plentiful bandwidth
> > from
> > Portland State Uni. It might be worth also chatting with the fd.o
> > sysadmin folks (CC'd Tollef) to see if that might be a worthwhile
> > angle
> > to pursue.
> We have a bunch of free CPU we can spend on building, but I suspect
> we'll quickly run into limitations on storage.  We do have some
> hundreds
> of gigs free, but once people start building lots of paks, we need
> somewhere to store them.  It'll also require somebody to champion the
> project, I'm happy to get a VM running with resources, but it needs
> somebody to write and maintain the service.

I think we can handle getting people to do the work, but I agree on
storage. Its gonna use a lot. How does this look on the gnome
infrastructure side? Do we have diskspace there?

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a one-legged native American Green Beret on the edge. She's a
hard-bitten motormouth mermaid with an evil twin sister. They fight
crime!