Flathub, initial proposal

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 09:06:31 UTC 2016

On tis, 2016-09-27 at 11:01 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Alexander Larsson
>

> >                      apps   builds   repo size  avg build size
> > gnome-apps stable:   24     474      38 GB      82 MB
> > gnome-apps unstable: 30     1222     60 GB      50 MB
> > nightly builds:
> >    6      59       3.6GB      62 MB
> >
> > Total average build size: 59 MB
> >
> > This is a pretty decent variation of apps, architectures, level of
> > file sharing etc, so its probably an OK estimate.
> These numbers look like pretty well-behaved clients who are
> minimising
> the size of the pak well. I think that if we open this to lots of
> folks,
> we'll see that size explode, though.  Not sure how public it's
> intended
> to be?

You mean intentionally exploiting it? Or just accidentally getting lots
of dependencies in the apps? We do want to open it up to the general
public. I mean, thats the point, to make it easier for people to make
and distribute flatpak apps without having to be sysadmins.

Maybe we can have some sort of per-user quotas? Although quotas make it
hard to do things like hardlink sharing.

> > Additionally, apart from the backup for "safety" we may need
> > mirroring
> > for distributing downloads across the world too. I think OSTree has
> > some built in support for mirroring, but I don't know the details.
> I'd just use a regular CDN for this.  Fastly are generally happy to
> sponsor free and open source projects.  (They do some Debian CDN foo,
> they have pypi, npm and others.)

Sounds like a good idea. Once we have something going we should
probably reach out to them.

       alexl at redhat.com            alexander.larsson at gmail.com
He's a witless misogynist dwarf with nothing left to lose. She's a
sarcastic Buddhist mechanic living homeless in New York's sewers. They
fight crime!