Flathub, initial proposal

Tollef Fog Heen tfheen at err.no
Tue Sep 27 10:03:24 UTC 2016

]] Alexander Larsson

> On tis, 2016-09-27 at 11:01 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Alexander Larsson
> >

> > >                      apps   builds   repo size  avg build size
> > > gnome-apps stable:   24     474      38 GB      82 MB
> > > gnome-apps unstable: 30     1222     60 GB      50 MB
> > > nightly builds:
> > >    6      59       3.6GB      62 MB
> > >
> > > Total average build size: 59 MB
> > >
> > > This is a pretty decent variation of apps, architectures, level of
> > > file sharing etc, so its probably an OK estimate.
> > These numbers look like pretty well-behaved clients who are
> > minimising
> > the size of the pak well. I think that if we open this to lots of
> > folks,
> > we'll see that size explode, though.  Not sure how public it's
> > intended
> > to be?
>
> You mean intentionally exploiting it? Or just accidentally getting lots
> of dependencies in the apps? We do want to open it up to the general
> public. I mean, thats the point, to make it easier for people to make
> and distribute flatpak apps without having to be sysadmins.

The latter.  I suspect you'll find people who accidentially pull in half
the world for their app (see some of the behemoths people are ending up
with for their docker containers, even though you can build fairly
minimal ones).

This might be less of a problem with flatpaks, I'm not sure?  (I'm
ignorant about the underlying technology here.)

> Maybe we can have some sort of per-user quotas? Although quotas make it
> hard to do things like hardlink sharing.

Yeah, quotas suck in many ways.

We could see if we can get a storage array from somewhere, but I suspect
just getting a donation from amazon or google of storage space in a
cloud would be easier.

--
Tollef Fog Heen