MIME types

Michael Terry mterry at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 6 17:15:06 EEST 2003

Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> I've been lurking on this list for about a week.
>
> I am the developer of an application which is similar to a word
> processor.  My app has 2-3 document types.  It would be cool if
> I could associate the docs with my app such that nautilus & konq
> could automatically launch my app from the desktop.  However,
> I don't know how to do this.
>
> Is there a step-by-step guide detailing which spec files I
> need to write and where to install them?

Look at the .desktop spec
(http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/).  There, you
can define the MimeType key and specify that your app can handle certain
mime types.  If these mime types are non-standard (not in XDG's shared
mime database), then you also have to register your mime type (see
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/shared-mime-info-spec/).

-mt