GStreamer on freedesktop

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Dec 9 13:28:26 EET 2003

El mar, 09-12-2003 a las 11:59, "Marc Boris Dürner" escribió:
> Hi,
> Isnt GStreamer using glib? This might be not be an option for KDE. Or was
> gstreamer
> freed from glib dependencies?

Hi,

No, GStreamer still uses glib and (optionally, though I haven't recently
tried without it) libxml.  It uses Glib because it's the right tool for
the job.

I'm not sure it's not an option for KDE.  Tim Janik has made C++/Qt
bindings, Scott Wheeler has written JuK with a GStreamer backend using
them, and I've heard from other KDE people as well that are interested.

Also, it's 2003, going on 2004, I'm pretty sure a lot of people are
willing to move on beyond doctrine :) If KDE doesn't want to use
GStreamer, I cannot make them.  But Freedesktop seems to be the right
place for GStreamer to live given our goals.  In the end it is the code
that will do the talking.

Thomas