recent-file-spec: possible design flow ?

Oliver Braun Oliver.Braun at sun.com
Tue Jul 15 11:10:28 EEST 2003

I think we must differenciate here:

the first problem is that we can't present the file's name to the user
appropriatly if it has been created using a different encoding. This
problem could only be solved by adding multi-encoding support to the
file systems or to the file system layer (writing file names always in
utf-8), which is not very likely to happen. The same could be achieved
by installing only utf-8 locales on a system. Unfortunatly utf-8 locales
seem not be very popular in the CJK-countries.

The second problem is that even though it may not be possible for the
user to type the file name in his (different) locale, there is no reason
why he should not be able to _open_ it through either a (double-)click
in his file manager or a auto completion functionality in a file picker
dialog.

Unfortunatly the sequence:

    locale encoding file name -> unicode file name -> unicode file url

instead of:

    locale encoding file name -> file url (ascii) -> unicode file url

prevents the user from being able to do so :(.

- Oliver