Contacts and Calendars Standard

Ettore Perazzoli ettore at ximian.com
Tue Jul 15 21:49:40 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 13:39, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Kaddressbook performs quite badly in loading all records, evo stores a
> vCard inside a Berkeley DB (versions 3 ) and has an extra index for
> the vCards which scales quite good.
> This can get problematic... KAddressbook is able to read and write evolutions
> addressbook but it is bypassing the wombat ( :( ).

Actually, this kind of problem is going to happen for mail folders too.

Evolution needs its indexes to be updated when modifying a folder; so if
a 3rd party app modifies the files without updating the indexes
Evolution has to reconstruct them from scratch, and that can take a long
time.

For GNOME we (Evolution team) were planning to clean up our backend
libraries and export them to the world as stand-alone pieces, so every
app would be using the same method to access the data and there would be
no problem.  But it's probably unreasonable to expect other desktops to
do the same...  ;-)

-- Ettore